Paul Kowalski is a Los Angeles based writer/director represented by Mosaic.
He is a Directing Fellow graduate of the American Film Institute (AFI) Conservatory, an adjunct professor of film directing at USC, and a BAFTA Newcomer.
His style tends towards dark psychologies, hypnotic imagery, and themes of exile, obsession and the supernatural.
Born in London to nomadic Polish emigrants, Paul grew up in the Middle East, Africa and all across America - sparking a natural impulse to reconcile contrasting views of the world.
While studying literature at Brown University, he published a collection of short stories, and made his first film in a seminar on Italian Neorealism.
His psychological thriller short, BREATHE, starring Kristof Konrad (RED SPARROW, HOUSE OF CARDS, HOMECOMING) and Alicja Bachleda (ONDINE), picked up audience and jury prizes at Beverly Hills, Aesthetica, Breckenridge, Woods Hole, Big Island, Beijing Film Academy, Sunscreen, Derby and USA film festivals, and nominations from the ASC (American Society of Cinematographers), CINE, and Cine Gear Film Expo.
Other award-winning films include BATTERSEA, which features London's iconic power station and premiered at Raindance Film Festival, as well as SHADOWS, starring Karolina Wydra (SNEAKY PETE, TRUE BLOOD, HOUSE).
Paul has also directed fashion and music films, served as a film festival judge, and worked on documentaries like EAST OF PARADISE, which won top prize at the 62nd Venice Film Festival.
He is currently developing several projects for film and TV: a dark crime thriller about obsession and identity, a psychological horror set at a British boarding school, and a TV series based around a small California town that undergoes a supernatural purging.
- M.F.A. Film Directing, American Film Institute (AFI), Los Angeles, CA, USA 2013 - 2015
- B.A. Honors in English Literature & Language (Magna cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa), Brown University, Providence, USA 2000 - 2004
- Lecturer & Adjunct Professor of Film Directing, USC - School of Cinematic Arts, Los Angeles, 2016-18
- Judge, CINE Golden Eagle Awards, Los Angeles, 2017-18
- Writer/Director, RESTLESS, Fashion Film, Los Angeles, 2016
- Writer/Director, BREATHE, Short Film, AFI, Los Angeles, 2016
- Writer/Director, SUPERWASH, Short Film, AFI, Los Angeles, 2015
- Writer/Director, SHADOWS, Short Film, Los Angeles, 2015
- Writer/Director, PRIMEVAL, Short Film, AFI, Los Angeles, 2014
- Writer/Director, UNDER THE NIGHT THAT COVERS, Short Film, AFI, Los Angeles, 2014
- Director, AUGURY, Short Film, AFI, Los Angeles, 2013
- Director/Editor, THE PARTISAN, Music Video, 2013
- Director/Cinematographer/Editor, PO PROSTU TAK JUZ MAM, Short, Warsaw, 2013
- Director/Editor, REPEATING, Mini-Documentary, London, 2012
- Director/Writer/Editor/Producer, BATTERSEA, Short Film, London, 2012
- Actor, THE SILVER GOAT, dir. Aaron Brookner, Feature, Pinball London, London, 2010
- Actor (Lead), SERIOUS MONEY, dir. Gareth Machin, Stage Play, Bridewell Theatre, London, 2007
- Translator/Researcher, EAST OF PARADISE, Documentary, Extinkt Films, 2004
(62nd Venice International Film Festival – Horizons Prize)
- Production Assistant, The Strokes: THE END HAS NO END, dir. Sophie Muller, Music Video, 2004
- Director/Writer/Cinematographer/Editor, GETHSEMANE, Short, Brown University, Providence, 2004
- Screenplay Judge, IVY FILM FESTIVAL, Providence, RI, 2004
- Co-Founder, RAW THEATRE, Brown University, Providence, RI, 2001-2003
- Actor, CHILDREN'S CHOICE, Saudi TV-2, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 1994-1995
© PAUL KOWALSKI 2017-2020 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED